If you missed it at three weeks postpartum we decided we needed a break... Ben was off on paternity leave and so it just made sense to go on a little trip before he went back to work. YES I had just had a baby, yes we were still figuring all of that out BUT it was a completely magical trip. We chose Santa Fe for a couple of different reasons but primarily because neither of us had been there, it was only a 5 hour drive from Denver, and there was a really amazing art experience Ben had been talking about forever that we decided it was time to go see! Rather than tell you about the trip I thought I would just create a list of the top 5 things to do (or that we did there... or near by)!
1. Meow Wolf - This is kind of a given but if you are going to Santa Fe you have to do this! I like can't even explain how awesome it is but basically you go through this giant interactive art experience. It does cost to get in but it is so worth it. There is a back story and a million secret passages and seriously we could have spent the whole day wandering around. The nice thing was our wrist bands were good all day so we could have come and gone if we had wanted to which there was SO much to see in there I almost wanted to go back. Jessamyn had a really good time too so not only is this an experience for adults but kids too and really you have to go... just do it or don't but we did and it was awesome.
2. The Shed - SO On the first night we went to more or less the city center and plaza to find something to eat. There was an awesome festival going on that night as well with live music and we just happened to stumble onto The Shed. There was a wait... but as we leaned while in Santa Fe this place pretty much always has a wait. We looked for something else but couldn't find anything that looked anywhere near as good so we decided to wait the hour and a half and oh my goodness it was worth it! Best enchiladas and best margarita maybe ever... so good we went back a second time on our trip. One thing we did do the second time was we got our food to go so that we didn't have to wait as long and just took it back to our hotel. SUPER kid friendly as well so basically minus the wait an all around amazing experience and something not to be missed!
3. Tent Rocks - Okay this third one isn't in Santa Fe but about a 45 minute drive (don't quote me on that I can't remember). Tent Rocks is a national monument that is absolutely gorgeous, you can hike up to a slot canyon and it is just something you have to see. Though I have to be honest we didn't see it. We drove all the way out there, paid the entrance fee... and then realized it was like 100 degrees and we had a three week old baby, a two year old, and no water with us so we just gazed at it from afar but next time! If you are going to go and hike up to the rocks I would definitely say bring good shoes, extra water, and sun screen! The park isn't open all the time and so check ahead of time because we showed up near closing and actually wouldn't have had time to hike even if we had wanted to.
4. Iconik Coffee Roasters - I found this one on yelp and oh it was such a find! We went to breakfast at Iconik every single day we were in Santa Fe. Not only do they have amazing coffee but really good pastries, breakfast sandwiches, and smoothies. It was basically the most delicious experience every time. They had a lot of gluten free and vegan options and I had what might have been the most delicious date bar of my life while at this coffee shop. The one location that is on the plaza is inside a book store and it was super cute and cozy and they even served really amazing ice cream too.. so basically just a complete win.
5. Canyon Road - This one I found when googling awesome places to take photos and it did not disappoint at all! Canyon road is seriously gorgeous there were about a million unique art shops and galleries and super beautiful winding streets with gorgeous doors and just iconic New Mexico beauty. Also there were some really amazing looking restaurants and shops that we didn't have time to stop in but if... okay WHEN we go back to Santa Fe I will definitely be spending more time exploring Canyon Road.
Okay! So those are my top five from our trip to Santa Fe! If you have been and have your own top five please leave them below! We loved Santa Fe and will definitely be going back and I am open to suggestions or other things we should try there!