Okay! So I am actually really excited for what I have to share with you today because for the entire first year of Jessamyn's life we literally used it every single day, multiple times a day. That item would be a breast pump. I didn't have social media when I first had Jessamyn so it really hasn't ever been something I shared but I exclusively pumped for the entire first year of Jessamyn's life. That is correct every 2-3 hours, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, I was using my breast pump and without it I would definitely have had to stop all together and put Jessamyn on formula. This is not to say there is anything wrong with formula but for me personally I wanted to be able to feed Jessamyn exclusively with my breast milk and was able to do that thanks to my insurance provided breast pump.
Jessamyn's birth was completely normal which I have a recent blog post about that if you want to read it. There was no good reason why we couldn't breast feed but from day one she showed no interest. We saw so many lactation specialists and struggled on for 11 days but it finally reached a point where my breasts were so sore and she was so angry from being hungry that I made the switch to pumping and bottle feeding. For us it was the best decision of our life and made the rest of her first year a million times easier. I know that is an extreme situation but whether you are able to breastfeed or not having a breast pump can be such a useful tool. From working moms, to when you are out without your baby, to when you just need to pump out extra supply having a breast pump is such an invaluable tool.
My insurance was really straightforward with us and I left our 3 day wellness check with a brand new breast pump in hand but I know that is not the case for everyone. Pumping breast milk is something that is not often talked about and for individuals like me who did it exclusively it can be really lonely and isolating which is why I want to share this resource with you today. Bump Benefits is a resource that will actually work with your insurance company to get you a breast pump covered by your insurance. Through their website you can sign up and pick out the breast pump you want! Not only that but they actually have pumping basics on their site so if this is totally new to you, you have a good starting point!
Bump Benefits Highlights
● 100% free- they help new and expecting mother’s access their insurance-covered benefits to receive a free pump and ship it to you for free.
● If a new or expecting mother has already purchased a breast pump, they can still qualify for a second, free pump through their insurance.
● They have done extensive research on each pump available, so mothers can have all the information they need to make a decision.
How it Works
● Fill out our form to see if your insurance will cover the cost of a breast pump for you.
● Decide which pump you’d like. There are several 100% free options, and some higher-end options you have to pay a small fee for because insurance won’t cover the whole cost.
● They will work with your insurance company on your behalf. Once you submit the necessary paperwork and select a pump, you’ll get your insurance-covered pump sent to you, 100% free.
● Any new or expecting mother with insurance coverage in the US.
Need more information? Check out their FAQ’s HERE
For me having a breast pump was everything it made all the difference in the world. I haven't ever really talked with anyone about this and would love to hear your breast feeding/pumping experiences or any pumping questions you may have! Please don't hesitate to comment. Also remember you can check out Bump Benefits HERE